id Software and Bethesda Softworks. This is basically a reboot of the Doom series which we used to enjoy in our childhood and is the first major installment since the release of Doom 3 in 2004. Though players might have also experienced Doom 3 BFG edition of 2012 which was a re-release of Doom 3. 2016’s DOOM has brought a revamped version of the original Doom both graphics and gameplay wise. There was an extended Beta session of the game in April. While most of the errors have been fixed during the Beta, there still remains some frustrating crashing and screen tearing issues that are bugging the PC players. While Bethesda is yet to release an official patch, we present a list of workarounds that could cater to some of the common issues that players may be facing. We recommend that before moving down to the list, have a look at the system requirements of the game.   DOOM 4 (2016), better known as DOOM, is the latest installment in the Doom series by
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
- Storage: 55 GB available space
- OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
- Storage: 55 GB available space
1. DOOM 2016 PC- Crash at startup/ CTD/ Game not responding/ APPCRASH/ Black screen/ Red screen fix:-
- Nvidia and AMD have both released their optimized drivers for the game. You can get Nvidia GameReady 365.19 drivers from here and AMD Radeon Crimson edition 16.5.2 beta drivers from here.
- Verify integrity of game cache files by right clicking on the game in Steam library, then clicking on Verify Game Cache. This is also required if the game is crashing at some specific percentage of loading.
- Crash on splash screen- Users have reported that the game is crashing or lagging heavily right after starting the game. This issue can be resolved by adding the commandline “-NoLauncher -NoStartupMovies” under the properties and launch options for Doom.
- Red screen issue- AMD users should disable Raptr. Disable Steam Overlay. Other overlay softwares like Evolve should also be turned off.
- Black screen issue- You should check that the in-game resolution matches the resolution supported by your display device so that there should not be any conflict. If you are using HDMI, try unplugging the HDMI cable from TV and launch the game. Wait a few mins before replugging the HDMI cable back into the TV.
- Registry clean using CCleaner can also fix some of the crashes. You can download CCleaner from here.
- For any DLL error or APPCRASH issue, it is recommended to do a clean install of Directx. Or, you can download the missing DLLs from here and paste them in the game directory.
- For Disk write error, try verifying game files. Make sure you are having sufficient space in your hard drive local disk before installing the game.
- Disable antivirus/firewall or add game to the exception list of the antivirus software.
- If game is crashing during syncing, disable any recording softwares like D3DGear, Fraps, MSI AfterBurner etc.
2. DOOM 2016 PC- Full screen fix:-
Users having rigs with resolution of 1080p or higher may face an issue where the game screen may not be properly scaled. It may appear as a small top box at one corner of the screen. You can follow this workaround to try fixing this issue. Also if you are on an AMD card, you can go to AMD Radeon settings, then navigate to Display tab, and set screen scaling to ‘stretch’.
3. DOOM 2016 PC- Low FPS/ Lags/ Stuttering/ Screen Tearing:-
- Both Nvidia and AMD GPU should be updated to their latest game optimized drivers as mentioned earlier.
- For AMD users, disable Raptr from task manager. Disable any other intensive applications that may be running in background. Also try setting ‘Tessellation mode’ to 8x/16x and 'Texture Filtering Quality' to Performance from your latest Crimson edition Radeon software to fix frame rate drops.
- For Nvidia users, go into your control panel 3d settings. Make sure that ‘Power Management Mode’ option should be set to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’.
- Run game at lower settings if you have a low end rig and also keep overlay softwares like Evolve disabled. Turn of Vsync and Set Anti-Aliasing to FXAA to boost FPS in-game. Turn down Shadow Quality too.
- Disable SLI/Crossfire. This can prevent any kind of microstutter or instability arising out due to the poor scaling performance of multiple GPU’s. id Software is working persistently to improve multi-GPU experience and performance scaling for DOOM in near future.
- If you are experiencing screen tearing or stuttering issue, try enabling Vsync and Tri-Buffering from in-game graphics options.
- For a comfortable gaming environment with DOOM, you can also try tweaking the Field of View (FOV) settings for the game. You can try disabling Bloom, Depth of Field, Chromatic Aberration as well as set Motion Blur as low.
- Memory Leaks:- Users can experience severe memory leaks with low RAM (less than 8GB). Most of the in game freezes can also be attributed to low available RAM. To fix it to some extent, try the next steps. Right click MyComputer > Properties > AdvancedSystemSettings > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Change Virtual Memory. Set page file for C drive to be anything high (say 5GB), then it may fix majority of the lag.
4. DOOM 2016 PC- Mouse acceleration fix:-
This is a frustrating issue that players may be experiencing with the game. There are two methods to fix this.
- Method 1- Altering DOOM launch options
- Right click the DOOM exe file in Steam library and go to Properties.
- Then enter the text +set m_smooth 0.
- Method 2- Tweaking the DOOMConfig.cfg file
- Go to C: > Users > UserName > Saved Games > id Software > DOOM > base
- Open the file DOOMConfig.cfg using any text editor.
- Hit ctrl+F and search for m_smooth “1”
- Change the “1” to “0” and save the file.
5. DOOM 2016 PC- Nvidia Shadowplay fix:-
It’s a popular issue where Nvidia users often fails to use Shadowplay for recording games and DOOM is one of those. Desktop users can turn on Desktop capture in Nvidia Geforce Experience control panel. Laptop users can follow this thread here.
6. DOOM 2016 PC- Skip intro videos:-
There is a provision of adding a property to the launch options in DOOM to skip the irritating intro videos if you are time bound. You can do this by Right clicking DOOM in your Steam Library and select Properties. In the new window that opens click ‘Set launch options’. When the box appears, add the line “+com_skipIntroVideo 1” without the quotes.
Heads Up:- DOOM is available on Steam for $59.99.
Contact the author at email@example.com
Check out more of our Tweaks and Fixes
For more Gaming XP:
More than 33 million players with an average of 1.6 million players per day.Read More
Bethesda announces Free Play Week and Massive Rewards.Read More
50% Tomb Raider 2013 sales are from PCRead More
Update on system side changes as well.Read More
'Content-wise, the game will be satisfying in a hardcore way'Read More
Release date is still unknown.Read More
Both the cars will come with a new set of wheels and six unique decalsRead More
'This is a keeper but... we are looking for a new IP.'Read More
Read Our Reviews:
With limited customization and lack of dedicated servers, is the game really worth it?Read More
Street Fighter V on PC is fun and engrossing only if you are ready to accept the game as it is.Read More
Watch more trailers:
Ubisoft’s largest ever open world game unlocks tomorrow.Read More
A closer look at exploration from the Tempest to Helius Cluster.Read More
Steering wheel compatibility, audio issues and moreRead More
Database Login Failure, Error 0x887a0006 and more.Read More
Animation bugs, connection issues and more.Read More
lags, DirectX issues and moreRead More
Fps drops, stuttering, freezes and more.Read More
Black screen, error codes and more.Read More
Black screen, screen flickering, controller bugs and more.Read More