Doom VFR, the first ever virtual reality adaptation of the epic first person shooter Doom is released on Steam and Playstation today. The game is compatible with HTC Vive and PS VR headsets respectively. Unfortunately, the game has been launched with a really poor PC port and most of the features are in broken state. The major complaints with the game are the absence of left handed support, incorrect gun position angle, sudden freezes and lack of support for Rift users. The game is currently having mixed reviews on Steam and the percentage of positive reviews are decreasing as the wait for a patch increases. To experience the Virtual Reality gameplay with Doom VFR, you must make sure that your rig meets the below heavy requirements.
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4590 or AMD FX 8350 or better
- RAM: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or better
- Storage: 17 GB available space
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- RAM: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD RX Vega 64
- Storage: 17 GB available space
1. Doom VFR- Oculus Rift Support:-
Doom VFR officially came out for Playstation VR and HTC Vive last night. Having no support for Oculus Rift users, it was looking like the recent lawsuit between Zenimax and Oculus could have been the reason that Bethesda hardware locked the game only to Vive. But all these rumors are proven false as Valve has deployed an update to the SteamVR Beta branch which fixes the issue and enables Rift users to launch Doom VFR. To get the update, follow the below steps:
- Launch Steam
- Browse to Library > Tools
- Search for ‘SteamVR’
- Right-click ‘SteamVR’ > Properties
- Click ‘Betas’ Tab > Switch beta drop-down selection to ‘beta – SteamVR Beta Update’
- Close Properties window, SteamVR Beta will download automatically
Note that the fix is available now only on the SteamVR Beta branch. It usually takes a couple of days to reflect the Beta branch changes in Main branch. Once the Main branch is updated with the fix of Beta branch, you can switch back to that branch.
2. Doom VFR PC- Crash at startup/ CTD/ Game not starting/ APPCRASH/ Black screen fix:-
- Both AMD and Nvidia have released their exclusive drivers for Doom VFR. AMD and Nvidia users can get the latest Radeon Software ReLive Edition 17.11.4 and Game Ready driver WHQL 388.43 respectively to experience the VR with Doom VFR.
- Many users are reporting that their game won’t start and crash back to the SteamVR home page. First of all, note that if you are a Rift user, follow #1 to get the latest VR support for Rift.
- Vive users can try removing any existing Oculus software and also try disabling any SteamVR Dashboard applications like ReVive or Advanced settings. You can do this from SteamVR settings. This has helped many players solve the issue.
- Game crashing randomnly- Players are reporting that their game is randomly crashing and they are losing all the progress. To fix this, make sure that you are having the latest Nvidia 388.43 or AMD 17.11.4 drivers. Also, you should be running the latest SteamVR Beta patch and disable SLI. If still its not working, then you need to wait for an official patch from Bethesda.
- Disable antivirus/firewall or add game to the exception list of the antivirus software.
- Crash To Desktop on 2k/4K Monitor- The FAQ already states that the game will crash if you are having the resolution set to 1080p on any of these monitors. Right now the workaround is to play on a simple 1080p Monitor until Bethesda releases a patch to fix this.
- Black screen issue- Well this issue can be due to lot of reasons. First of all, you should check that the in-game resolution matches the resolution supported by your display device so that there should not be any conflict. If you are using HDMI, try unplugging the HDMI cable from TV and launch the game. Wait a few mins before replugging the HDMI cable back into the TV. Also running the game in windowed mode can help.
- Registry clean using CCleaner can also fix some of the crashes. You can download CCleaner from here.
- For any DLL error or APPCRASH issue, it is recommended to do a clean install of Directx. Or, you can download the missing DLLs from here and paste them in the game directory. Install all executables from the Redist folder of your Game’s directory.
3. Doom VFR PC- No Left Hand Support:-
It looks really careless from Id’s side to not provide Left hand support for the game. If you belong to that 10% of the population, it’s unfortunate that you won’t be able to shoot using your left hand. The only way is to wait for a patch.
4. Doom VFR PC- No free smooth locomotion with Vive Controllers:-
Currently, the game has no provision for free smooth locomotion using the Vive Controllers. Players can only use teleportation, warping and blinking with motion controllers. Free locomotion is only available for gamepads. So until any patch is out to fix this, players have to choose between smooth locomotion or aiming with motion controllers.
5. Doom VFR PC - Low FPS/ Stuttering/ freezes/ lags fixes:-
- Updating your Nvidia and AMD GPU drivers is a must. Without this, you may be get random crashes and hardware locks.
- If you are facing optimization issues, severe lags or stutters; you can try turning down shadows, Anti-Aliasing and adjust other graphics settings. It is very much essential to meet the specified requirements to play this game.
- Frequent Freezing- Many players are facing an issue where the game freezes in SteamVR loading screen with audio playing in background. Players have managed to fix this by updating to the latest GPU drivers and turning off the Vive's supersampling function which is most probably the culprit.
- Excess Blurriness- Many players are experiencing blurred out visuals in game. Few workarounds to fix this includes reducing or disabling MSAA, increase Depth of Field and Super Sampling.
- For AMD users, disable Raptr from task manager. Disable any other intensive applications that may be running in background. Also try setting ‘Tessellation mode’ to 8x/16x and 'Texture Filtering Quality' to Performance from your latest Crimson edition Radeon software to fix frame rate drops.
- For Nvidia users, go into your control panel 3d settings. Make sure that ‘Power Management Mode’ option should be set to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’.
- If you are experiencing screen flickering or frame-pacing issues, disable Crossfire/SLI and run the game using a single GPU. If your game is going out of focus, it’s due to dynamic resolution being enabled in the game. Right now, there is no way to disable this feature.
- Turn off all overlaying softwares and disable any recording softwares like Fraps, D3DGear, MSI Afterburner etc. Disable ShadowPlay.
- Turn of Vsync from Nvidia control panel if you are facing excessive stutterings.
- Disable third party background apps and set High Priority for the game in Task Manager.
6. Doom VFR PC- Gun angle and orientation bug:-
Currently, lot of players are furious about the messed up positioning of guns. Players need to aim much lower than natural to orient the guns correctly. This requires an immediate patch from Id to fix or at least provide the option to change gun the angle according to player’s need.
So right now the game looks pretty unstable as a PC port and requires lot of fixing from Id’s side. We might expect an official patch soon. If you are looking for a specific issue not mentioned here, you can check out the Steam discussion forums to find answers or even ask one. Also, don’t forget to read Doom VFR FAQ.
Heads Up: Doom VFR is available on Steam for $29.99 and it requires a VR headset (HTC Vive or Oculus Rift) to play on.
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out more of our Tweaks and Fixes
For more Gaming XP:
More than 33 million players with an average of 1.6 million players per day.Read More
Bethesda announces Free Play Week and Massive Rewards.Read More
50% Tomb Raider 2013 sales are from PCRead More
Update on system side changes as well.Read More
'Content-wise, the game will be satisfying in a hardcore way'Read More
Release date is still unknown.Read More
Both the cars will come with a new set of wheels and six unique decalsRead More
'This is a keeper but... we are looking for a new IP.'Read More
Read Our Reviews:
With limited customization and lack of dedicated servers, is the game really worth it?Read More
Street Fighter V on PC is fun and engrossing only if you are ready to accept the game as it is.Read More
Watch more trailers:
Ubisoft’s largest ever open world game unlocks tomorrow.Read More
A closer look at exploration from the Tempest to Helius Cluster.Read More
Steering wheel compatibility, audio issues and moreRead More
Database Login Failure, Error 0x887a0006 and more.Read More
Animation bugs, connection issues and more.Read More
lags, DirectX issues and moreRead More
Fps drops, stuttering, freezes and more.Read More
Black screen, error codes and more.Read More
Black screen, screen flickering, controller bugs and more.Read More