Total War: Warhammer, the latest turn based strategy real time tactics game developed by Creative Assembly is out today. This is the first game in the Warhammer trilogy and people have high expectations from this game. But the few issues associated with the game is having a frustrating effect on many fans. Most common being the multiplayer mode issues and startup freezes. Sega is being responsive enough to tackle these issues and they are working hard to provide fixes as more issues getting reported. They have also released the Day One Hotfix. In the meantime, we have consolidated a list of workarounds for some of the common bugs and crashing issues that fans may find helpful. Before moving down, have a look at the system requirements of the game.
- OS: Windows 7 64Bit
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
- RAM: 3GB RAM
- Graphics: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB / NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB / Intel HD4000 @720p
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 35 GB available space
- Additional Notes: *PC Integrated graphics chipsets require 4 GB RAM, e.g. Intel HD series.
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- Graphics: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @ 1080p
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 35 GB available space
- Additional Notes: Total War: Warhammer is still in development and undergoing optimisation and comparability testing. These specs are subject to change.
1. Total War: Warhammer PC- Crash at startup/ CTD/ stuck on splash screen/ Game not responding/ APPCRASH/ Black screen fix:-
- Get the 10 MB Day One Hotfix from Steam. Check out the procedure here.
- Initial loading screen crash- Players have reported that the game is crashing at the first loading screen. Two things that can be done-
- Run Steam in offline mode
- Verify Intergrity of Game Cache. Navigate to TW: Warhammer's Properties > Local Files > Verify Intergrity of Game Cache.
- Players are also advised to update GPU drivers to latest versions. AMD users can upgrade to the latest Radeon Crimson 16.5.3 drivers with added Warhammer Crossfire profile. This can also supposedly fix the white screen issue.
- Some Nvidia players have reported ‘stuck on splash screen’ issue with their latest drivers 368.22. Right now the working solution is to roll back to the 365.19 version drivers.
- Disable antivirus/firewall or add game to the exception list of the antivirus software.
- If the game is crashing while going fullscreen, try disabling any recording softwares like Fraps, MSI AfterBurner, D3DGear etc. You can also try running the game in Windowed mode.
- Black screen issue- First of all you should restart Steam in offline mode using administrator priveleges. You should check that the in-game resolution matches the resolution supported by your display device so that there should not be any conflict. If you are using HDMI, try unplugging the HDMI cable from TV and launch the game. Wait a few mins before replugging the HDMI cable back into the TV.
- Registry clean using CCleaner can also fix some of the crashes. You can download CCleaner from here.
- For any DLL error or APPCRASH issue, it is recommended to do a clean install of Directx. Or, you can download the missing DLLs from here and paste them in the game directory.
- Turn off Steam Overlay and disable any mods that you have installed.
- Disable Crossfire/SLI.
- Resolution issues:- Players who are having difficulty with resolution and going in to the windowed mode can check out steps here.
2. Total War: Warhammer PC- Multiplayer mode freezes:-
The most obvious reason for this issue is that the servers are currently heavily loaded. The only solution is patience. You need to wait few minutes before entering a game. You may face network lags while joining lobbies but the issue will be getting better by the time.
3. Total War: Warhammer PC- Low FPS/ Lags/ Stuttering/freezes:-
- Update your AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers.
- Make sure that the game is set to use the dedicated GPU.
- For AMD users, disable Raptr from task manager. Disable any other intensive applications that may be running in background. Also try setting ‘Tessellation mode’ to 8x/16x and 'Texture Filtering Quality' to Performance from your latest Crimson edition Radeon software to fix frame rate drops.
- For Nvidia users, go into your control panel 3d settings. Make sure that ‘Power Management Mode’ option should be set to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’.
- Turn off all overlaying softwares and disable any recording softwares like Fraps, D3DGear, MSI Afterburner etc.
- Set Steam to offline mode and disable Steam Overlay.
- Disable third party background apps and set High Priority for the game in Task Manager.
Check out the Total War forum to get more game related crash issues, campaign bugs and performance fixes.
Heads Up:- Total War: Warhammer is available at $59.99 from Steam.
Contact the author at email@example.com
Check out more of our Tweaks and Fixes
For more Gaming XP:
More than 33 million players with an average of 1.6 million players per day.Read More
Bethesda announces Free Play Week and Massive Rewards.Read More
50% Tomb Raider 2013 sales are from PCRead More
Update on system side changes as well.Read More
'Content-wise, the game will be satisfying in a hardcore way'Read More
Release date is still unknown.Read More
Both the cars will come with a new set of wheels and six unique decalsRead More
'This is a keeper but... we are looking for a new IP.'Read More
Read Our Reviews:
With limited customization and lack of dedicated servers, is the game really worth it?Read More
Street Fighter V on PC is fun and engrossing only if you are ready to accept the game as it is.Read More
Watch more trailers:
Ubisoft’s largest ever open world game unlocks tomorrow.Read More
A closer look at exploration from the Tempest to Helius Cluster.Read More
Steering wheel compatibility, audio issues and moreRead More
Database Login Failure, Error 0x887a0006 and more.Read More
Animation bugs, connection issues and more.Read More
lags, DirectX issues and moreRead More
Fps drops, stuttering, freezes and more.Read More
Black screen, error codes and more.Read More
Black screen, screen flickering, controller bugs and more.Read More